SIM cards and top-ups are available widely in Thailand from the major carriers (the big three are called: AIS, dtac and True Move H) as well as a number of smaller providers that lease government bandwidth and equipment or MVNOs (such as iMobile or Tune). Purchase of a new SIM card/number is easy, and can be done at operators' shops and any 7-Eleven as well as at many airport kiosks. Thailand has began mandatory SIM card registration and the production of ID (such as passport for non-Thais) is now required at the point of purchase.
Arriving at BKK (Suvarnabhumi) airport in Bangkok, you have the best choice. The 3 major players have their flagship stores in the arrivals hall almost side by side. So you can check prices and compare promotions. Some operators may give out monthly or seasonal promotions that are not mentioned in this article.
The situation at DMK (Don Mueng) airport, Bangkok's budget airport (and other regional airports) is different as only a True shop is on location, but several small shops sell the tourist SIMs of other carriers (AIS/dtac). In Phuket, you may find still True Move SIMs still given out for free.
Concerns for all providers Edit
The big three operators do stock all SIM card sizes from normal, micro SIM to nano SIM. Normally micro SIM cards can be popped out from a normal SIM card, but nano SIMs are sometimes sold separately. It's advised that specify, which SIM card size you need before you buy.
All operators allow tethering and they treat all data going through their network equally. If you are using an iPhone, you may need to perform a network reset or a carrier update for the mobile tethering option to appear.
For voice calling overseas heavily reduced rates even below VoIP providers are offered by the three majors using special IDD prefix codes. Let them give you the cheapest option for your destination which has to be dialled before the country code (see below).
Topping up Edit
Adding credit or airtime is quite easy in Thailand. Airtime gives both validity and ability to make calls or subscribe to data packages. A few physical places where you can top-up: 7-Eleven, Family Mart, BigC, Tesco, phone kiosks and the outlets of the operators.
Adding credit online is also quite easy and there are a few options: MobileTopup.com accepts Visa and MasterCard as well as debit cards and works on a mobile device. If you have Bitcoins you can top-up at https://www.bitrefill.com or http://bitcoins.com.th and if you use Webmoney you can do it through wm-thailand.com. All online options incur some surcharges, so better use a physical top-up while in the country.
Expiry policy Edit
You have to top-up a Thai SIM card every 45 days or pay to add validity to keep it alive as well as one call or SMS activity every 6 months. Normally, Thai SIM cards expire 45 days after the last top-up, unless you are able to add extra validity. So it's generally hard to keep them alive from outside of the country, but start-up prices for new starter packs are minimal. True and dtac let you add validity for a price, check this site on how to extend.
Before you purchase any SIM card, make sure that the network you are choosing is compatible with your devices (see below). The big three providers have different networks operating on more than one set of frequencies that are combined through domestic roaming. So you should better enable roaming on your device, even for domestic use. Most old networks mainly on 2G are about to decommissioned soon. These frequencies are used for 3G and 4G/LTE:
- AIS has 3G/DC-HSPA on 900 and 2100 MHz and started in 2016 with 4G/LTE Advanced called "4.5G" on 1800 and 2100 MHz
- dtac has the largest 3G spectrum: 3G/DC-HSPA on 850 and 2100 MHz and 4G/LTE on 1800 and 2100 MHz.
- TrueMove H has 3G/DC-HSPA on 850 and 2100 MHz 3G/DC-HSPA and the largest 4G/LTE spectrum on 850, 900, 1800 and 2100 MHz
- CAT: is on 3G/HSPA only on 850 MHz
- TOT: is on 3G/HSPA on 2100 MHz and plans 4G/LTE on 1800 MHz 4G/LTE and 2300 MHz TDD-LTE.
For 4G/LTE in 2016: True has the best coverage at 90% of population, followed by dtac that now covers all 77 provinces today but lacks coverage, while AIS has only started to roll out 4G, partly as "4.5G" with carrier aggregation and is about to cover 80% by the end of 2016.
Note that all old 2G/GSM networks are about to be shut down within the next years as the providers need more spectrum for LTE. AIS has sealed a roaming agreement with dtac for 2G on their 1800 MHz band, which dtac is going to use until 2018. True has leased back bandwidth from CAT on 1800 MHz for 2G until the end of 2016 while TOT has never had any 2G. So be prepared that 2G is coming to an end soon in Thailand and better bring a 3G or 4G/LTE device even for voice calls.
IDD Calling Prefixes Edit
Thailand is one of the few countries where some international calls are charged lower than domestic or even VoIP calls. For this you have to use certain IDD prefixes. So the correct order to dial abroad is:
<IDD prefix> <country code> <area code> <local number>
The prefixes differ between operators and are added at the end of each section. The major providers give out special discounted prefixes on which major landlines in Europe, America, Asia and Australia can be called for as low as 1 THB per min.
Under a new law all SIM cards have to be registered as of July 31, 2015. Be prepared to show an ID at the point of purchase from now on. This is now enforced in all of providers stores very strictly. You can check your registration status by dialing *151#.
In 2016 the military government suggested plans to issue all foreign tourists with location-tracking SIM cards to monitor them as it has vowed to crack down on those who overstay on their visas or commit crimes. This caused an outcry amongst tourists and so far many questions remain open about how and when this new policy will be actually implemented.
Thailand has a very strong network of WiFi hotspots all over the country. Some of them e.g. in airports are free and publicly available. Others in hotels and restaurants are for customers only. There are many hotspots of AIS, True and dtac throughout the country, that can accessed through your mobile number and hotspot use is included in some of the plans or for a surcharge.
AIS (1-2-Call, you! Mobile) EditAIS has the largest 2G/3G network with a 50% customer share. It's part of the SingTel Corp. that also owns e.g. Optus in Australia and SingTel in Singapore. Surprisingly, AIS was the last major provider to start 4G/LTE and in January 2016 on the 1800 and 2100 MHz band, partly marketed as "4.5G" or LTE Advanced. It covers Bangkok and 30 cities for a start: 3G/4G coverage map to be extended to 80% by the end of 2016.
AIS operates two different prepaid brands called 1-2-Call and you! Mobile.
You can get their SIM cards online (only for old 3G SIMs) to be sent to a Thai address and at airports, major shopping malls, telecom stands, in AIS and Telewiz branded stores (shop locator in Thai with map). Change language of their messages to English by pressing *700# <call> and choose option 5.
Top-up, balance check and validity Edit
Top-ups can be done in many ways, but ATMs and internet banking require Thai bank accounts. So topping up by a electronic top-up or cash card is recommended. They are sold all over at convenience stores such as 7-Eleven, Family Mart, Tesco/Lotus, Big C or online. Every AIS store has a "payment kiosk" that is an automated top-up machine as well. Top-ups can also be made by credit card on the AIS service page in increments of 50 THB.
Top-ups up to THB 150 are valid for 30 days, of more than THB 150 are valid for 60 days. In case there is no usage or no top-up for 90 consecutive days, with no remaining validity, the number will be automatically terminated.
To top-up by code, type *120*<16 digit voucher PIN>#. To check account balance and validity, type *121#. Check data balances by *121*3#.
1-2-Call SIM cards are their regular prepaid voice and data cards. From 2016 all new SIM cards are on 4G/LTE. So if you want LTE, be sure to get a new one. They are all sold for around THB 50 with a THB 15 call credit and some bonuses:
- Super Play 4G: is their most common prepaid card (and the only one that some AIS stores sell). It includes 15 THB call credit in 30 days. The current promotion includes 1 GB data and lots of GB for zero-rated streaming through YouTube and other channels.
- Zeed 4G: though targeted to teens, this is one of their best packages. On activation, it includes 500 MB of data, and 2 GB of YouTube data for 1 month. It also includes AIS Super WiFi. These data allowances renew for future months if you top up at least THB 100 per month. However, this SIM is very difficult to find, and may be sold by shops at a markup over face value (e.g. 99 THB rather than 50 THB). Be aware that there is an older version of the SIM that may be 3G only - you should check that the packaging indicates 4G if that's important to you.
- Super Social 4G: for social media. It includes unlimited Facebook, LINE, Kakao Talk, WeeChat, BeeTalk, WhatsApp and Twitter for 1 month on activation, and future months if you top up at least THB 100 per month. It also includes free on-network nighttime calls and 1 GB of nighttime (11p - 6a) 4G data. Change from other tariffs by calling *777.
- Net SIM 4G: for data-use. This comes with a weekly package of 2 GB and unlimited AIS Super WiFi, and further weeks are renewed automatically at 99 THB/week. See special segment below.
- Others: AIS has numerous other SIM cards, but most are probably not of interest to visitors (and may be difficult to find in stores). Check the AIS SIM card page for details.
Data packages Edit
AIS has a rather large and confusing range of data add-on packages (in addition to their many SIM card types, some of which already come with data). These data packages on up to 4G/LTE can be booked on all their SIM cards from above (add 7% taxes). This table is a rough survey of available data add-ons all open to 4G/LTE at max. speed:
For higher resultion click on the table. Beware using monthly (auto-renewing) packages marked in blue that you will lose the original benefits of the SIM. For all prices add 7% tax.
Furthermore, some throttled packages are sold with auto-renew:
- unlimited data for 7 days @ max. 384 Kbps: 79 THB, activation: *777*7072#
- unlimited data for 7 days @ max. 512 Kbps: 89 THB, activation: *777*7009#
Social media users can add these packs with auto-renew (no VoIP calls):
- for Facebook: 29 THB per week, activation: *777*91#
- for Line: 19 THB per week, activation: *777*97#
- for WhatsApp: 19 THB per week, activation: *777*93#:
Net SIM 4G Edit
Their Net SIM is focused on data, but has voice and text too at a higher price. Be sure to get a 4G pack for LTE. Only this SIM has special packages for data including unlimited AIS (Super) WiFi:
- 2 GB per week, free AIS Super WiFi: 99 THB (default rate)
- 1 (1.5) GB per month: 299 THB, *777*3002#
- 2 (4) GB per month: 399 THB, *777*3003#
- 3 (6) GB per month: 499 THB, *777*3004#
- 5 (10) GB per month: 699 THB, *777*3005#
- 8 (14) GB per month: 899 THB, *777*3006#
- 14 (22) GB per month: 1099 THB, *777*3007#
The higher values in brackets refer to the first 6 months of your Netsim only. Volume will be cut down from the 7th month. All packages auto-renew. You can add regular packages too, but need to stay on a monthly base plan.
Alternatively, AIS offers their Traveller SIM to visitors in three starter packs:
- for 199 THB you get for 7 days 500 MB data (beyond throttled to 64 kbps), 7 days of unlimited calls between Travellers SIM users, 15 THB credit with 30 days validity available at 7-Eleven nationwide.
- for 299 THB you get for 7 days 1.5 GB data (beyond throttled to 64 kbps), 100 THB credit with 30 days validity at major airport stores, other AIS stores and Family Mart nationwide.
- for 459 THB you get 3 SIM cards sharing 3 GB data (beyond throttled to 64 kbps) and unlimited calls between sharing cards at AIS stores nationwide.
- for 599 THB you get for 14 days 4 GB data (beyond throttled to 64 kbps), 100 THB credit with 30 days validity at AIS stores nationwide.
On all Traveller SIMs the cheap IDD call rates 00600 applies with many destinations at 1 THB per min. The default data rate outside packages is 2 THB per MB. These add-ons can be bought (tax incl.):
|50 THB||160 MB||1 day||*777*701#|
|270 THB||1.5 GB||10 days||*777*702#|
|690 THB||3 GB||15 days||*777*703#|
|9.63 THB||unltd. WiFi||1 hour||*777*380#|
When used up, max. speed will be throttled from 42 Mbps to 64 kbps. For WiFi an 1 hour usage period is counted from log-in and log-out time. The username and password received via SMS is valid for 24 hours.
AIS WiFi passes Edit
AIS has many hotspots, especially in shopping malls and airports. WiFi packages are available as follows:
|WiFi||9 THB||Unlimited||1 hour||*777*380#|
|WiFi||19 THB||Unlimited||5 hours||*777*381#|
|WiFi||29 THB||Unlimited||1 day||*777*382#|
|WiFi||69 THB||Unlimited||30 days||*777*383#|
|Super WiFi||99 THB||20 GB||30 days||*777*384#|
You will need to purchase any AIS SIM card (for 50 THB) in order to buy a WiFi pass. The 99 THB package enables additional access to AIS Super WiFi, which has superior speeds (tested up to 150/150 Mbps in real world use) compared to the normal WiFi (capped at 10/1 Mbps).
Some SIMs and packages come with WiFi; to obtain the password dial *388*1# or get it online.
Asia roaming offer Edit
For cheap roaming AIS has introduced a new SIM2Fly SIM card at THB 399 with 3 GB roaming at 3G/4G speeds valid for 8 days in Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Laos, India, Taiwan, Macao and the Philippines. Alternatively, you can book the same package on all existing AIS SIM cards for THB 349 by typing *111*354#. Package or SIM card will be activated immediately. So activate SIM or package just before entering the country. Check balance by *111*6#.
you! Mobile Edit
you! Mobile is a new sub-label of AIS launched in 2014. This tariff can not be changed to/from 1-2-Call up to now. Availability is at their stores (see above). You'll get 100 THB bonus if you subscribe to your account here and top up at least THB 50 for the first time.
you! Mobile allows customers to set their voice and internet data package by themselves on their online account, and gives them the flexibility to swap between the two elements in order to receive the best value for money based on their individual needs and usage.
- you! Design: online you need to set your monthly allowance data (and optional voice):
- 99 THB - 260 MB
- 200 THB - 600 MB
- 400 THB - 1.9 GB
- 600 THB - 3 GB
- 800 THB - 4.3 GB
- 1,000 THB - 6 GB
- you! Swop: you can change minutes online into data or data into minutes. Exchange rate: 1 minute = 2.7 MB
- you! Topping: add-ons for extra data (or minutes):
|9 THB||10 MB||24 hours||n.a.||cut off|
|25 THB||40 MB||48 hours|
|49 THB||160 MB||24 hours||@ 64 kbps|
|69 THB||100 MB||7 days||cut off|
|119 THB||unltd. @ 384 kbps||15 days|
|129 THB||150 MB||30 days|
|229 THB||500 MB|
|269 THB||1.2 GB||10 days||@ 128 kbps|
|269 THB||500 MB||30 days||cut off|
|449 THB||1.5 GB||unltd.||@ 128 kbps|
|649 THB||3 GB|
|799 THB||4 GB||@ 256 kbps|
All packages need to be booked online on your account. All codes of AIS 1-2-Call apply on you! Mobile too.
- IDD prefix: 003 (quality) or 00300 (budget on some plans like Traveller SIM, from THB 1 per min)
- APN: internet
dtacEditdtac for Total Access Communication is Thailand's 2nd largest network by the number of users. It's partly owned by Telenor group from Norway and is the network that owns the biggest wireless bandwidth in the country. Its prepaid brand is called Happy. 4G/LTE started in 2014 on 2100 MHz in Bangkok only and has been expanded in 2015 to Phuket and Pattaya and another 40 cities nationwide: 4G coverage map. In 2015 4G/LTE was started in the metro Bangkok area mostly on the additional 1800 MHz frequency which is much more common internationally.
You can get their SIM cards from almost any shop including at the airports, but if you prefer, you can obtain it directly from their stores. You can simply get any of their prepaid SIM cards. It almost does not matter which one you get as long as it is the prepaid Happy SIM cards. Most new SIM cards are 4G SIM cards now and sold for 49 THB, but there may be still some old 3G SIMs around.
- Super 4G SIM: comes with free YouTube streaming at night (midnight-8am), zero-rated music streaming through the Music Infinite app and 1GB per month for 7 days up to 12 months when top-up at least 150 THB per month (press *103*333*9#).
- Social Hero SIM: is for social media users. It comes with free use of Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, Line, WeChat, BeeTalk, Pantip and Kakao for 30 days being extended to a year when you top-up at least 100 THB per month. 1 GB data for 7 days @ 42 Mbps being extended to a year when top-up at least 150 THB per month (press *103*333*9#).
- Other SIMs: Some other SIMs are sold too without or different benefits and promotions.
Data plans Edit
Default rate for data is on all SIM cards 1.99 THB per MB, except Simple SIM with 0.9 THB per min (!) and 4G SIM with 69 THB for 500 MB per week.
For the so-called Non-stop Internet Plans below, you get connection at full 4G speed up to 100 Mbps for a certain amount of data, then your speed will be capped at the stated fair use policy (FUP) maximum speed which is varied respective to the plan you choose (but you can use them as much as you like, they are unlimited after all). Default rate is 1.99 THB per MB outside of packages.
|24 hours||19 THB||500 MB||@ 64 kbps||n./a.||*104*881*9#|
|29 THB||1 GB||*104*882*9#|
|49 THB||1.2 GB||@ 384 kbps||*104*29*9#|
|7 days||79 THB||600 MB||@ 128 kbps||*104*883*9#|
|99 THB||1 GB||*104*884*9#|
|199 THB||1.2 GB||@ 384 kbps||*104*28*9#|
|30 days||199 THB||1.5 GB||default rate||*104*853*9#|
|299 THB||2.5 GB||@ 128 kbps||*104*353*9#|
|399 THB||4.5 GB||unltd.||*104*21*9#|
|699 THB||9 GB||@ 384 kbps||*104*344*9#|
|799 THB||12 GB||*104*343*9#|
Daily packages are once-off and don't renew, weekly and monthly packages auto-renew.
For monthly plans only, these Speed Toppings can be added:
- 100 MB for 1 day: 5 THB, activation: *104*308*9#
- 1 GB for 30 days: 150 THB, activation: *104*50*#
For the plans that include WiFi, you must first obtain your username and password by dial *4000# and then you can connect any of your device (can be your laptop or a tablet) to all dtac Wi-Fi hotspots. The WiFi usage is unlimited. Dtac WiFi can be found mostly in shopping centres and airports.
These add-ons can be used for social media:
- Facebook for a day: 5 THB, *104*405*9#
- Facebook, WhatsApp and Line for a day + 150 MB: 12 THB, *103*242*9#
- WhatsApp for a week: 19 THB, *104*88*9#
- Line for a week: 19 THB, *104*421*9#
- Facebook, WhatsApp and Line for a week + 75 MB: 69 THB, *104*512*9#
For light data users, dtac has packages that are reduced in speed from the beginning:
|1 hour||7 THB||unlimited||@ 384 kbps||*104*20*9#|
|24 hours||15 THB||400 MB||@ 384 kbps||@ 64 kbps||*104*871*9#|
|7 days||89 THB||unlimited||@ 512 kbps||*104*348*9#|
|30 days||199 THB||70 hours||@ 384 kbps||default rate||*104*864*9#|
Check balance in packages by *101*1*9#.
Tourist SIM Edit
dtac also sells SIM cards with short validity and "unlimited" data for tourists. The SIM card is called Happy Tourist SIM. It comes in two varieties of starter packs and is on 2G/3G/4G:
- Happy Tourist SIM 299: 299 THB, 100 THB credit included valid for 35 days and "unlimited" internet (FUP: 1.5 GB) for 7 days
- Happy Tourist SIM 599: 599 THB, 100 THB credit included valid for 35 days and "unlimited" internet (FUP: 4 GB) for 15 days
Excess data is charged at 2 THB per MB. You can actually buy their Tourist SIM online here and get it shipped overseas for a whopping THB 350 surcharge worldwide. You can also find the Tourist SIM on Amazon.com to be sent abroad. These add-on packages are sold for the tourist SIM:
- 229 THB: 1 GB, 30 minutes valid for 7 days
- 429 THB: 4 GB, 30 minutes valid for 30 days
- 700 THB: 6 GB, 50 minutes valid for 30 days
- validity extensions:
- 50 THB for 180 days
- 100 THB for one year
WiFi passes Edit
For dtac WiFi, when not included in your data pack, special passes are sold:
- 19 THB: 1 hour, activation: *104*619*9#
- 39 THB: 24 hours, activation: *104*639*9#
- 69 THB: 30 days, activation: *104*669*9#
- 99 THB: 30 days including 3BB WiFis, activation: *104*699*9#
Data is unlimited on the WiFi. For your password dial *400*9#.
Asia roaming offer Edit
For cheap data roaming dtac offers new "roam like home" packages with unlimited data on Metfone in Cambodia, Digi in Malaysia, Telenor in Myanmar, Telstra on Australia and Chunghwa Telecom in Taiwan. 1 day (= 24 hours) for THB 280, 3 days for THB 840 and 5 days for THB 1,450. Activation is done online through your account and starts immediately.
- IDD prefixes: 004 (quallity) or 00400 (budget on some plans like the Tourist SIM, starting at 1 THB per min for many countries)
- APN: www.dtac.co.th
- Website: dtac smartphone SIM , dtac data packs
TrueMove HEditTrueMove H is Thailand's 3rd largest network and the most heavily advertised. TrueMove is part of the larger True Corp. conglomerates, owned by CP Group which is the biggest retailer owning all 7-Eleven and Tesco stores in Thailand.
They were the first provider in to bring 4G/LTE on the rare 2100 MHz to Thailand. Its 4G/LTE coverage is the best so far in the country and comprises 80% rising to 96% by the end of 2016: 4G coverage map in Thai and list in English. In 2015 the much more usual 1800 MHz band was added for 4G/LTE as well as 850 and 900 MHz in 2016. As 3rd placed network, their offers are generally 5-10% cheaper then those of AIS or dtac, but their 2G/3G coverage is a little lower too.
TrueMove and TrueMove H are two different networks (both owned by the same company). TrueMove is no longer allowed to sell their SIM cards as their license has expired. Customers from the existing TrueMove networks are being transferred to the new TrueMove H. Keep roaming enabled on your mobile as some devices will consider it a roaming network.
You can get their SIM cards from almost everywhere, but you should obtain it directly from any of the True Corp. stores (including True Online and True Visions stores) or 7-Eleven kiosks. Electronic top-ups are sold at all 7-Eleven stores or Family Mart. There, you have to know and enter your number. Most of their SIM cards are 4G/LTE enabled now, but there are some old 3G SIMs still around.
When you arrive at BKK airport, you should check their promotions at their store in the arrivals hall at concourse A, 2nd floor, opposite Gate 5. They offer often promotions that are not available otherwise and are mostly for starting-up and the first package only. You may also see their free SIM stand at the airports in Chiang Mai or Phuket.
You can simply get one of their prepaid SIM cards and add from their big variety of data packs. For the "unlimited" internet plans below, you get connection at full speed for a certain amount of data, then your speed will be capped at the stated fair use policy (FUP) maximum speed which is varied respective to the plan you choose.
For the plans that include WiFi, you must connect to the @TRUEWIFI hotspots (not the .@TRUEWIFI) and then log-in using your phone number. They have the biggest WIFI network with more than 100,000 hotspots: Hotspot Locator must also log out after you finish. These packages are offered on 2G, 3G and WiFi for prepaid (add 7% taxes):
|9 THB||24 hours||100 MB||1.5 THB/MB||n/a||*900*3301#|
|15 THB||200 MB||*900*3306#|
|49 THB||320 MB||@128 kbps||*900*3302#|
|39 THB||750 MB||1.5 THB/MB||*900*1920#|
|49 THB||320 MB||@128 kbps||*900*3302#|
|59 THB||7 days||200 MB||*900*8811#|
|59 THB||400 MB||1.5 THB/MB||*900*3307#|
|79 THB||500 MB||@128 kbps||*900*8825#|
|99 THB||750 MB||*900*8826#|
|159 THB||1.5 GB||*900*8827#|
|199 THB||30 days||1 GB||unltd.||*900*1801#|
|199 THB||1.5 GB||1.5 THB/MB||n/a||*900*8982#|
|250 THB||2 GB||*900*3325#|
|299 THB||1.5 GB||@128 kbps||unltd.||*900*1329#|
|399 THB||3 GB||*900*1339#|
|699 THB||6 GB||*900*1369#|
Speed is up to 42 Mbit/s on 3G. Most packages auto-renew. As they can't be canceled easily, better add extra packs for more data:
- 59 THB: 500 MB for 7 days, *900*8923#
- 79 THB: 1 GB for 7 days, *900*8924#
- 99 THB: 1 GB for 15 days, *990*8925#
- 150 THB: 1 GB for 30 days, *990*8903#
- 199 THB, 5 GB for 30 days with auto-renewal, *990*8813#
- 299 THB: 10 GB for 30 days with auto-renewal, *990*8814#
4G/LTE packages Edit
Most of their SIM cards are now 4G/LTE enabled and are sold for THB 0-49 with very little credit. Speed is up to 100 Mbps on 4G/LTE. Default rate outside package is 1.50 THB per MB. These 4G/LTE packages can be booked on all 4G SIM cards. For all prices add 7% taxes:
|9 THB||200 MB||1 day||default rate @
1.50 THB / MB
|15 THB||400 MB||*900*1923#|
|39 THB||1.5 GB||*900*1924#|
|59 THB||800 MB||7 days||*900*1925#|
|99 THB||2 GB||*900*1926#|
|199 THB||1.5 GB||30 days||@128 kbps||*900*8816#|
|299 THB||2.5 GB||*900*8817#|
|399 THB||4 GB||*900*8818#|
|699 THB||8 GB||@384 kbps||*900*8819#|
|799 THB||12 GB||*900*8820#|
Daily and weekly plans are once off and can be booked new anytime. All monthly plans auto-renew after 30 days. For more data on monthly plans, add one of these add-ons:
- 179 THB: 1 GB, 30 days, *900*8936#
- 279 THB: 2 GB, 30 days, *900*8937#
- 379 THB: 3 GB, 30 days. *900*8938#
Tourist SIM Edit
TrueMove H sells special SIM cards for tourists too. The SIM card is called Tourist Inter SIM. In 2016 True's 4G/LTE has been opened for the tourist SIM. They come in two different starter packs:
- Starter Pack: 49 THB, 90 MB data, 20 THB call credit, all valid for 30 days
- Value Pack: 299 THB, 1.5 GB high speed data, throttled to 128 kbps, unlimited WiFi, 100 THB call credit, all valid for 7 days.
To activate, type *123# <call>. After the included bundle has expired or used up, you can add these top-up bundles:
|100 THB||1 GB||n./a.||3 days||*900*8984#|
|150 THB||1.5 GB||7 days||*900*8985#|
|300 THB||2.5 GB||unltd.||10 days||*900*8986#|
|450 THB||4 GB||15 days||*900*8988#|
|750 THB||9 GB||30 days||*900*8989#|
|850 THB||12 GB||30 days||*900*8992#|
Default data outside packs or for overuse is 1 THB per MB. These bundles above are officially advertised to be used on the tourist SIM. Unofficially, the regular 3G and 4G packs mentioned above proved to be addible too. So you might give them a try.
WiFi packages Edit
True has like dtac and AIS many WiFi hotspots throughout the country. They have the biggest WIFI network with more than 100,000 hotspots: Hotspot Locator. When not included in your plan, they offer these packages for a max. speed of 200 Mbps (add 7% taxes):
- for 1 day: 39 THB, activation: *900*82#
- for 1 week: 59 THB, activation: *900*84#
- for 1 month: 100 THB, activation: *900*83#
To acquire your WiFi password dial *871*4# for free. The weekly and monthly packages auto-renew. More info about their WiFi.
Asia roaming options Edit
For roaming in other Asian countries, True has introduced new roaming packages with unlimited data on 3G networks:
- for Singapore (on Starhub): 1 day, THB 99, *115*801#; 3 days, THB 295, *115*802#; 5 days, THB 490, *115*803 or 7 days, THB 680, *115*804#
- for 18 other Asian countries: 1 day, THB 333, *115*401#; 3 days, THB 950, *115*402#; 5 days, THB 1550, *115*403 or 7 days, THB 2150, *115*404#
- IDD prefixes: 006 for quality or 00600 for budget (on the tourist SIM starting from 1 THB per min to major countries)
- APN: internet - username and password: true
- Website partly in English: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/?ln=en
- To change SMS Notifications to English: Press *700 <call>, then 1 (For English), 5 (Change Language), 2 (SMS), 2 (English), 1 (Confirm)
- or press 9304 <call>, then follow voice prompts to switch language between Thai and English.
- check your remaining balance by 9302 <call> (voice response) or *123# <call> (SMS response).
My (by CAT) Edit
My is an MVNO operated by CAT Telecom Public Company Ltd., the state-owned company that runs Thailand’s international telecommunications infrastructure, including its international gateways, satellite, and submarine cable networks connections.
It is the 4th largest mobile network operator in Thailand. They own spectrum on the 850 Mhz frequency and rent it out to True Move H, and in return get to use 20% of the bandwidth for their own My by CAT operation. The towers and network are operated by True Move for their 3G 850 Mhz.
Frequencies and Coverage Edit
My only has 3G/ HSPA+ on 850 Mhz (= band 5). There is no fall-back to 2G. As My uses the same 850 Mhz network as True Move, their tower coverage is the same. By the end of 2014 it had a coverage of approximately 97% of population and consisted of around 14,000 BTS. But as there are way less users on CAT's 20% share as they have roughly only 1 million customers and a market share of 1-2% so far.
My plans to provide a 4G/LTE access for its subscribers by having them roam with the 4G/LTE 1800 MHz and 2100 MHz networks of True. But this hasn't been materialized so far. So for now, only use CAT, if you have a 3G device that supports the 850 MHz band.
My by CAT shops and CAT service centers are now showing up in some shopping malls (locator in Thai-English).
As a promotion called MY Welcome 1 GB are given out per month for 12 months, if you top-up for 100 THB.
Top-up vouchers can be found at various locations like CAT stores, AJ Sabaidee top-up kiosks, U Top-up at Big C and postal offices, Tesco Lotus and 7-Eleven (only for THB 100 and 300). To top-up by code type *901*<voucher code>#. To check balance type *902#.
Data feature packages Edit
Different base plans are offered. For data you can change to MY Net plan by *905*03# for free. It has the lowest default rate of 0.50 THB per MB. Check your base plan by *905*00#.
My has Thailand's first real unlimited 3G data plan, called the Net Sood Khum 215:512. For 215 Baht per month you get unlimited unthrottled 512kbps data. 512kpbs is the slowest possible speed to still be considered 3G. Activation: *906*03#.
Additionaly there is a throttled plan - to 384 kbps 8am-midnight and 512 kbps midnight-8am: THB 139 for 31 days. Activation: *906*53#. These other plans with high-speed 3G data are offered:
- for one day (= 24 hours):
- 500 MB: THB 29 - activation: *906*37#
- 1 GB: THB 49 - activation: *906*38#
- for one week (= 7 days):
- 500 MB: THB 49 - activation: *906*39#
- 1 GB: THB 79 - activation: *906*40#
- for one month (= 31 days):
- 1 GB: THB 150 - activation: *906*41#
- 2 GB: THB 250 - activation: *906*42#
To all packages add 7% taxes. All bundles auto-renew. To stop text code with 960 instead of 906. Overuse will be charged at the default rate.
More Information Edit
- APN: internet
- Website partly in English: http://www.mybycat.com/en/
Tune Talk (on True) Edit
Tune Talk is one of the first MVNOs in the country. Tune Talk is affiliated to AirAsia airline, started in 2013 and targets visitors. It has moved recently to the network of True Move in 3G and 4G/LTE.
The Thailand Tourist SIM is available for THB 299 exclusively on Thai AirAsia flights. It might not be available on other flights by AirAsia.
You will need to register your SIM after arrival in DMK airport at True Move shop (1st floor, terminal 1 and 2) or any True store in the country to be activated.
Data packages Edit
The starter has "unlimited" 3G/4G data with a FUP of 1.5 GB then throttled to 128 kbps for a week and 100 THB of balance preloaded.
Default rate for data is 1.5 THB per MB and you can top-up this SIM like any True Move SIM (see packages above) with value, packages and WiFi.
More information Edit
- True's budget IDD prefix 00600 works on this SIM for cheap internatl. calls
- APN: internet
- don't mix it up with the same product released in Malaysia
- Website in English: http://th.tunetalk.com/