Three main mobile operators of Thailand ("big three") - AIS, dtac and True Move H. Also there is a number of smaller providers or MVNOs that lease government bandwidth mostly on the CAT network (such as i-Mobile, Tune, Penguine or My).
Purchase of a new SIM card/number is easy, and can be done at operators' shops or at any 7-Eleven and many airport kiosks. Thailand has started mandatory SIM card registration and now you need to provide your ID or passport at the points of purchase.
Arriving at BKK (Suvarnabhumi) airport in Bangkok, you have the best choice. The 3 major players have their flagship stores in the big arrivals hall just past the customs check almost side by side. There you can compare prices and promotions. Some operators may give out monthly or seasonal promotions that are not mentioned in this article.
The situation at DMK (Don Mueang) Bangkok's budget airport has been changed. You can now find the stores of the three major providers located next to each other facing exit gate 6. At Phuket and Chiang Mai airports you may find stalls of the providers giving out reduced SIM cards too.
Alternatively, SIMEasy resells some Tourist SIMs of True and AIS for a substantial surcharge (33% compared to local prices), but include worldwide delivery in that price. As their choice is rather limited so far, they are only recommended, if you need to know your phone number in advance.
Concerns for all providers Edit
The big three operators have SIM cards for all sizes - normal, micro and nano SIMs. Normally micro SIM cards can be popped out from a normal SIM card, but nano SIMs are sometimes sold separately. It's recommended to specify which SIM card size you need when buying.
All operators allow tethering and they treat all data going through their network equally. If you are using an iPhone, you may need to perform a network reset or a carrier update for the mobile tethering option to appear.
For voice calling overseas heavily reduced rates even below VoIP providers are offered by the three major operators using special IDD prefix codes. Let them give you the cheapest option for your destination which has to be dialed before the country code (see below).
Topping up Edit
Adding credit or airtime is quite easy in Thailand. Loading airtime gives you ability to make calls or subscribe to data packages and also extends SIM card lifetime. A few physical places where you can top-up: 7-Eleven, Family Mart, BigC, Tesco, phone kiosks and the outlets of the operators.
Adding credits online is also possible and there are some options: MobileTopup.com accepts international Visa and MasterCards without any surcharge. If you have Bitcoins you can top-up at https://www.bitrefill.com or http://bitcoins.com.th and if you use Webmoney you can do it through wm-thailand.com. Most of these options don't add face value surcharges, but some conversion fees may be added in the process and they remain mostly limited to the 3 major providers. So better use a physical top-up while in the country.
Expiration policy Edit
You have to top-up a Thai SIM card every 45 days or pay more to add validity in order to keep it alive as well as make at least one call or outgoing SMS activity every 6 months. Normally, Thai SIM cards expire in 45 days after the last top-up, unless you are able to add extra validity. So it's generally hard to keep them alive from outside the country, but start-up prices for new starter packs are minimal. True and dtac allow you to extend validity for a price, check this site on how to extend.
Before you purchase any SIM card, make sure that the network you are choosing is compatible with your devices (see below). The big three providers have different networks operating on more than one set of frequencies that are combined through domestic roaming. So you should better enable roaming on your device, even for domestic use. Most old networks mainly on 2G are about to decommissioned soon. These frequencies are used for 3G and 4G/LTE:
- AIS has 3G/DC-HSPA on 900 and 2100 MHz and started in 2016 with 4G/LTE Advanced called "4.5G" on 1800 and 2100 MHz
- dtac has the largest 3G spectrum: 3G/DC-HSPA on 850 and 2100 MHz and 4G/LTE on 1800 and 2100 MHz.
- TrueMove H has 3G/DC-HSPA on 850 and 2100 MHz 3G/DC-HSPA and the largest 4G/LTE spectrum on 850, 900, 1800 and 2100 MHz
- CAT: is on 3G/HSPA only on 850 MHz (with national 4G roaming for its My brand on True's 4G/LTE network on 1800 and 2100 MHz).
- TOT: is on 3G/HSPA on 2100 MHz in Bangkok only (nationwide through 3G roaming on AIS) and plans 4G/LTE on 1800 MHz 4G/LTE and 2300 MHz TDD-LTE.
For 4G/LTE in 2016: True has the best coverage at 90% of population, followed by dtac that now covers all 77 provinces today but lacks coverage, while AIS has only started to roll out 4G, partly as "4.5G" with carrier aggregation and is about to cover 80% by the end of 2016.
Note that all old 2G/GSM networks are about to be shut down within the next years as the providers need more spectrum for LTE. AIS has sealed a roaming agreement with dtac for 2G on their 1800 MHz band, which dtac is going to use until 2018. True has leased back bandwidth from CAT on 1800 MHz for 2G until the end of 2016 while TOT has never had any 2G. So be prepared that 2G is coming to an end soon in Thailand and better bring a 3G or 4G/LTE device even for voice calls.
IDD Calling Prefixes Edit
Thailand is one of the few countries where some international calls are charged lower than domestic or even VoIP calls. For this you have to use certain IDD prefixes. So the correct order to dial abroad is:
<IDD prefix> <country code> <area code> <local number>
The prefixes differ between operators and are added at the end of each section. The major providers give out special discounted prefixes on which major landlines in Europe, America, Asia and Australia can be called for as low as 1 THB per min. On all operators you can use CAT's prefix 009 (price list) or TOT's 008.
Under a new law all SIM cards have to be registered as of July 2015. Be prepared to show an ID at the point of purchase from now on. This is now enforced in all of providers stores very strictly. You can check your registration status by dialing *151#.
Thailand has a very strong network of public WiFi hotspots all over the country. Some of them e.g. in airports are free and publicly available. Others in hotels and restaurants are for customers only. There are many hotspots of AIS, True and dtac throughout the country, that can accessed through your mobile number and hotspot use is included in some of the plans or for a surcharge.
Most prices below are without taxes. Add 7% tax for the final price.
AIS (1-2-Call, you! Mobile) EditAIS has the largest 2G/3G network with a 50% customer share. It's part of the SingTel Corp. that also owns e.g. Optus in Australia and SingTel in Singapore. Surprisingly, AIS was the last major provider to start 4G/LTE in 2016 on the 1800 and 2100 MHz band, partly marketed as "4.5G" or LTE Advanced. It now covers 80% of the population in 2017: 3G/4G coverage map and is competitive to True and dtac.
AIS operates two different prepaid brands called 1-2-Call and you! Mobile.
You can get their SIM cards online (only for old 3G SIMs) to be sent to a Thai address and at airports, major shopping malls, telecom stands, in AIS and Telewiz branded stores (shop locator in Thai with map). Change language of their messages to English by pressing *700# <call> and choose option 5.
Top-up, balance check and validity Edit
Top-ups can be done in many ways, but ATMs and internet banking require Thai bank accounts. So topping up by an electronic top-up or cash card is recommended. They are sold all over at convenience stores such as 7-Eleven, Family Mart, Tesco/Lotus, Big C or online. Every AIS store has a "payment kiosk" that is an automated top-up machine as well. Top-ups can also be made by credit card on the AIS service page in increments of 50 THB.
Top-ups up to THB 150 are valid for 30 days, of more than THB 150 are valid for 60 days. In case there is no usage or no top-up for 90 consecutive days, with no remaining validity, the number will be automatically terminated.
To top-up by code, type *120*<16 digit voucher PIN>#. To check account balance and validity, type *121#. Check data balances by *121*3#.
1-2-Call SIM cards are their regular prepaid voice and data cards. From 2016 all new SIM cards are on 4G/LTE. So if you want LTE, be sure to get a new one. They are all sold for around THB 50 with a THB 15 call credit and some bonuses:
- Super Play 4G: is their most common prepaid card (and the only one that some AIS stores sell). It includes 15 THB call credit in 30 days. The current promotion includes 1 GB data and lots of GB for zero-rated streaming through YouTube and other channels.
- Zeed 4G: though targeted to teens, this is one of their best packages. On activation, it includes 500 MB of data, and 2 GB of YouTube data for 1 month. It also includes AIS Super WiFi. These data allowances renew for future months if you top up at least THB 100 per month. However, this SIM is very difficult to find, and may be sold by shops at a markup over face value (e.g. 99 THB rather than 50 THB). Be aware that there is an older version of the SIM that may be 3G only - you should check that the packaging indicates 4G if that's important to you.
- Super Social 4G: for social media. It includes unlimited Facebook, LINE, Kakao Talk, WeeChat, BeeTalk, WhatsApp and Twitter for 1 month on activation, and future months if you top up at least THB 100 per month. It also includes free on-network nighttime calls and 1 GB of nighttime (11p - 6a) 4G data. Change from other tariffs by calling *777.
- Net SIM 4G: for data-use. This comes with a weekly package of 2 GB and unlimited AIS Super WiFi, and further weeks are renewed automatically at 99 THB/week. See special segment below.
- Others: AIS has numerous other SIM cards, but most are probably not of interest to visitors (and may be difficult to find in stores). Check the AIS SIM card page for details.
Data packages Edit
AIS has a rather large and confusing range of data add-on packages (in addition to their many SIM card types, some of which already come with data). These data packages on up to 4G/LTE can be booked on all their SIM cards from above (add 7% taxes). This table is a rough survey of available data add-ons all open to 4G/LTE at max. speed:
For higher resolution click on the table. Beware using monthly (auto-renewing) packages marked in blue that you will lose the original benefits of the SIM. For all prices add 7% tax.
Furthermore, some throttled packages are sold with auto-renew:
- unlimited data for 7 days @ max. 384 Kbps: 79 THB, activation: *777*7072#
- unlimited data for 7 days @ max. 512 Kbps: 89 THB, activation: *777*7009#
Social media users can add these packs with auto-renew (no VoIP calls):
- for Facebook: 29 THB per week, activation: *777*91#
- for Line: 19 THB per week, activation: *777*97#
- for WhatsApp: 19 THB per week, activation: *777*93#:
Net SIM 4G Edit
Their Net SIM is focused on data, but has voice and text too at a higher price. Be sure to get a 4G pack for LTE. Only this SIM has special packages for data including unlimited AIS (Super) WiFi:
- 2 GB per week, free AIS Super WiFi: 99 THB (default rate)
- 1 (1.5) GB per month: 299 THB, *777*3002#
- 2 (4) GB per month: 399 THB, *777*3003#
- 3 (6) GB per month: 499 THB, *777*3004#
- 5 (10) GB per month: 699 THB, *777*3005#
- 8 (14) GB per month: 899 THB, *777*3006#
- 14 (22) GB per month: 1099 THB, *777*3007#
The higher values in brackets refer to the first 6 months of your Netsim only. Volume will be cut down from the 7th month. All packages auto-renew. You can add regular packages too, but need to stay on a monthly base plan.
Alternatively, AIS offers their Traveller SIM to visitors in three starter packs:
- for 199 THB you get for 7 days 500 MB data (beyond throttled to 64 kbps), 7 days of unlimited calls between Travellers SIM users, 15 THB credit with 30 days validity available at 7-Eleven nationwide.
- for 299 THB you get for 7 days 1.5 GB data (beyond throttled to 64 kbps), 100 THB credit with 30 days validity at major airport stores, other AIS stores and Family Mart nationwide.
- for 459 THB you get 3 SIM cards sharing 3 GB data (beyond throttled to 64 kbps) and unlimited calls between sharing cards at AIS stores nationwide.
- for 599 THB you get for 14 days 4 GB data (beyond throttled to 64 kbps), 100 THB credit with 30 days validity at AIS stores nationwide.
On all Traveller SIMs the cheap IDD prefix 00300 gives calls to some destinations like Germany or China at 1 THB per min. For more countries use 003 prefix for reduced call rates.
The default data rate outside packages is 2 THB per MB. These add-ons are advertised for the Traveller SIM (tax incl.), but in fact you can add any regular package shown above too:
|50 THB||160 MB||1 day||*777*701#|
|270 THB||1.5 GB||10 days||*777*702#|
|690 THB||3 GB||15 days||*777*703#|
|9.63 THB||unltd. WiFi||1 hour||*777*380#|
When used up, max. speed will be throttled from 42 Mbps to 64 kbps. For WiFi an 1 hour usage period is counted from log-in and log-out time. The username and password received via SMS is valid for 24 hours.
AIS WiFi passes Edit
AIS has many hotspots, especially in shopping malls and airports. WiFi packages are available as follows:
|WiFi||9 THB||Unlimited||1 hour||*777*380#|
|WiFi||19 THB||Unlimited||5 hours||*777*381#|
|WiFi||29 THB||Unlimited||1 day||*777*382#|
|WiFi||69 THB||Unlimited||30 days||*777*383#|
|Super WiFi||99 THB||20 GB||30 days||*777*384#|
You will need to purchase any AIS SIM card (for 50 THB) in order to buy a WiFi pass. The 99 THB package enables additional access to AIS Super WiFi, which has superior speeds (tested up to 150/150 Mbps in real world use) compared to the normal WiFi (capped at 10/1 Mbps).
Some SIMs and packages come with WiFi; to obtain the password dial *388*1# or get it online.
Roaming offer Edit
For cheap roaming in SE Asia AIS has introduced a new SIM2Fly SIM card for THB 399 with 3 GB roaming data at 3G/4G speeds valid for 8 days in Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Laos, India, Taiwan, Macao, the Philippines, Myanmar, Nepal and Australia.
Alternatively, you can book the same package on all existing AIS SIM cards for THB 349 by typing *111*354#. Package or SIM card will be activated immediately. Activate SIM or package just before entering the country. Check balance by *111*6#.
you! Mobile Edit
you! Mobile is a new sub-label of AIS launched in 2014. This tariff can not be changed to/from 1-2-Call up to now. Availability is at their stores (see above). You'll get 100 THB bonus if you subscribe to your account here and top up at least THB 50 for the first time.
you! Mobile allows customers to set their voice and internet data package by themselves on their online account, and gives them the flexibility to swap between the two elements in order to receive the best value for money based on their individual needs and usage.
- you! Design: online you need to set your monthly allowance data (and optional voice):
- 99 THB - 260 MB
- 200 THB - 600 MB
- 400 THB - 1.9 GB
- 600 THB - 3 GB
- 800 THB - 4.3 GB
- 1,000 THB - 6 GB
- you! Swop: you can change minutes online into data or data into minutes. Exchange rate: 1 minute = 2.7 MB
- you! Topping: add-ons for extra data (or minutes):
|9 THB||10 MB||24 hours||n.a.||cut off|
|25 THB||40 MB||48 hours|
|49 THB||160 MB||24 hours||@ 64 kbps|
|69 THB||100 MB||7 days||cut off|
|119 THB||unltd. @ 384 kbps||15 days|
|129 THB||150 MB||30 days|
|229 THB||500 MB|
|269 THB||1.2 GB||10 days||@ 128 kbps|
|269 THB||500 MB||30 days||cut off|
|449 THB||1.5 GB||unltd.||@ 128 kbps|
|649 THB||3 GB|
|799 THB||4 GB||@ 256 kbps|
All packages need to be booked online on your account. All codes of AIS 1-2-Call apply on you! Mobile too.
- IDD prefix: 003 (quality) or 00300 (budget on some plans like Traveller SIM, from THB 1 per min)
- APN: internet
dtacEditdtac for Total Access Communication is Thailand's 2nd largest network by the number of users. It's partly owned by Telenor group from Norway and is the network that owns the biggest wireless bandwidth in the country. Its prepaid brand is called Happy. 4G/LTE started in 2014 on 2100 MHz in Bangkok only and has been expanded in 2015 to Phuket and Pattaya and another 40 cities nationwide: 4G coverage map. In 2015 4G/LTE was started in the metro Bangkok area mostly on the additional 1800 MHz frequency which is much more common internationally.
You can get their SIM cards from almost any shop including at the airports, but if you prefer, you can obtain it directly from their stores. You can simply get any of their prepaid SIM cards. It almost does not matter which one you get as long as it is the prepaid Happy SIM cards. Most new SIM cards are 4G SIM cards now and sold for 49 THB, but there may be still some old 3G SIMs around.
- Super 4G SIM: comes with free YouTube streaming at night (midnight-8am), zero-rated music streaming through the Music Infinite app and 1GB per month for 7 days up to 12 months when top-up at least 150 THB per month (press *103*333*9#).
- Social Hero SIM: is for social media users. It comes with free use of Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, Line, WeChat, BeeTalk, Pantip and Kakao for 30 days being extended to a year when you top-up at least 100 THB per month. 1 GB data for 7 days @ 42 Mbps being extended to a year when top-up at least 150 THB per month (press *103*333*9#).
- Other SIMs: Some other SIMs are sold too without or different benefits and promotions.
Data plans Edit
Default rate for data is on all SIM cards 1.99 THB per MB, except Simple SIM with 0.9 THB per min (!) and 4G SIM with 69 THB for 500 MB per week.
For the so-called Non-stop Internet Plans below, you get connection at full 4G speed up to 100 Mbps for a certain amount of data, then your speed will be capped at the stated fair use policy (FUP) maximum speed which is varied respective to the plan you choose (but you can use them as much as you like, they are unlimited after all). Default rate is 1.99 THB per MB outside of packages.
|24 hours||19 THB||500 MB||@ 64 kbps||n./a.||*104*881*9#|
|29 THB||1 GB||*104*882*9#|
|49 THB||1.2 GB||@ 384 kbps||*104*29*9#|
|7 days||79 THB||600 MB||@ 128 kbps||*104*883*9#|
|99 THB||1 GB||*104*884*9#|
|199 THB||1.2 GB||@ 384 kbps||*104*28*9#|
|30 days||199 THB||1.5 GB||default rate||*104*853*9#|
|299 THB||2.5 GB||@ 128 kbps||*104*353*9#|
|399 THB||4.5 GB||unltd.||*104*21*9#|
|699 THB||9 GB||@ 384 kbps||*104*344*9#|
|799 THB||12 GB||*104*343*9#|
Daily packages are once-off and don't renew, weekly and monthly packages auto-renew.
For monthly plans only, these Speed Toppings can be added:
- 100 MB for 1 day: 5 THB, activation: *104*308*9#
- 1 GB for 30 days: 150 THB, activation: *104*50*#
For the plans that include WiFi, you must first obtain your username and password by dial *4000# and then you can connect any of your device (can be your laptop or a tablet) to all dtac Wi-Fi hotspots. The WiFi usage is unlimited. Dtac WiFi can be found mostly in shopping centres and airports.
These add-ons can be used for social media:
- Facebook for a day: 5 THB, *104*405*9#
- Facebook, WhatsApp and Line for a day + 150 MB: 12 THB, *103*242*9#
- WhatsApp for a week: 19 THB, *104*88*9#
- Line for a week: 19 THB, *104*421*9#
- Facebook, WhatsApp and Line for a week + 75 MB: 69 THB, *104*512*9#
For light data users, dtac has packages that are reduced in speed from the beginning:
|1 hour||7 THB||unlimited||@ 384 kbps||*104*20*9#|
|24 hours||15 THB||400 MB||@ 384 kbps||@ 64 kbps||*104*871*9#|
|7 days||89 THB||unlimited||@ 512 kbps||*104*348*9#|
|30 days||199 THB||70 hours||@ 384 kbps||default rate||*104*864*9#|
Check balance in packages by *101*1*9#.
Tourist SIM Edit
dtac also sells SIM cards with short validity and "unlimited" data for tourists. The SIM card is called Happy Tourist SIM. It comes in two varieties of starter packs and is on 2G/3G/4G:
- Happy Tourist SIM 299: 299 THB, 100 THB credit included valid for 35 days and "unlimited" internet (FUP: 1.5 GB) for 7 days
- Happy Tourist SIM 599: 599 THB, 100 THB credit included valid for 35 days and "unlimited" internet (FUP: 4 GB) for 15 days
Excess data is charged at 2 THB per MB. You can actually buy their Tourist SIM online here and get it shipped overseas for a whopping THB 350 surcharge worldwide. You can also find the Tourist SIM on Amazon.com to be sent abroad. These add-on packages are sold for the tourist SIM:
- 229 THB: 1 GB, 30 minutes valid for 7 days
- 429 THB: 4 GB, 30 minutes valid for 30 days
- 700 THB: 6 GB, 50 minutes valid for 30 days
- validity extensions:
- 50 THB for 180 days
- 100 THB for one year
WiFi passes Edit
For dtac WiFi, when not included in your data pack, special passes are sold:
- 19 THB: 1 hour, activation: *104*619*9#
- 39 THB: 24 hours, activation: *104*639*9#
- 69 THB: 30 days, activation: *104*669*9#
- 99 THB: 30 days including 3BB WiFis, activation: *104*699*9#
Data is unlimited on the WiFi. For your password dial *400*9#.
Asia roaming offer Edit
For cheap data roaming dtac offers new "roam like home" packages with unlimited data on Metfone in Cambodia, Digi in Malaysia, Telenor in Myanmar, Telstra on Australia and Chunghwa Telecom in Taiwan. 1 day (= 24 hours) for THB 280, 3 days for THB 840 and 5 days for THB 1,450. Activation is done online through your account and starts immediately.
- IDD prefixes: 004 (quallity) or 00400 (budget on some plans like the Tourist SIM, starting at 1 THB per min for many countries)
- APN: www.dtac.co.th
- Website: dtac smartphone SIM , dtac data packs
TrueMove HEditTrueMove H is Thailand's 3rd largest network and the most heavily advertised. TrueMove is part of the larger True Corp. conglomerates, owned by CP Group which is the biggest retailer owning all 7-Eleven and Tesco stores in Thailand.
They were the first provider in to bring 4G/LTE on the rare 2100 MHz to Thailand. Its 4G/LTE coverage is the best so far in the country and comprises 80% rising to 96% by the end of 2016: 4G coverage map in Thai and list in English. In 2015 the much more usual 1800 MHz band was added for 4G/LTE as well as 850 and 900 MHz in 2016. As 3rd placed network, their offers are generally 5-10% cheaper then those of AIS or dtac, but their 2G/3G coverage is a little lower too.
TrueMove and TrueMove H are two different networks (both owned by the same company). TrueMove is no longer allowed to sell their SIM cards as their license has expired. Customers from the existing TrueMove networks are being transferred to the new TrueMove H. Keep roaming enabled on your mobile as some devices will consider it a roaming network.
You can get their SIM cards from almost everywhere, but you should obtain it directly from any of the True Corp. stores (including True Online and True Visions stores) or 7-Eleven kiosks. Electronic top-ups are sold at all 7-Eleven stores or Family Mart. There, you have to know and enter your number. Most of their SIM cards are 4G/LTE enabled now, but there are some old 3G SIMs still around.
When you arrive at BKK airport, you should check their promotions at their store in the arrivals hall at concourse A, 2nd floor, opposite Gate 5. They offer often promotions that are not available otherwise and are mostly for starting-up and the first package only. You may also see their free SIM stand at the airports in Chiang Mai or Phuket.
You can simply get one of their prepaid SIM cards and add from their big variety of data packs. For the "unlimited" internet plans below, you get connection at full speed for a certain amount of data, then your speed will be capped at the stated fair use policy (FUP) maximum speed which is varied respective to the plan you choose.
For the plans that include WiFi, you must connect to the @TRUEWIFI hotspots (not the .@TRUEWIFI) and then log-in using your phone number. They have the biggest WIFI network with more than 100,000 hotspots: Hotspot Locator must also log out after you finish. These packages are offered on 2G, 3G and WiFi for prepaid (add 7% taxes):
|9 THB||24 hours||100 MB||1.5 THB/MB||n/a||*900*3301#|
|15 THB||200 MB||*900*3306#|
|49 THB||320 MB||@128 kbps||*900*3302#|
|39 THB||750 MB||1.5 THB/MB||*900*1920#|
|49 THB||320 MB||@128 kbps||*900*3302#|
|59 THB||7 days||200 MB||*900*8811#|
|59 THB||400 MB||1.5 THB/MB||*900*3307#|
|79 THB||500 MB||@128 kbps||*900*8825#|
|99 THB||750 MB||*900*8826#|
|159 THB||1.5 GB||*900*8827#|
|199 THB||30 days||1 GB||unltd.||*900*1801#|
|199 THB||1.5 GB||1.5 THB/MB||n/a||*900*8982#|
|250 THB||2 GB||*900*3325#|
|299 THB||1.5 GB||@128 kbps||unltd.||*900*1329#|
|399 THB||3 GB||*900*1339#|
|699 THB||6 GB||*900*1369#|
Speed is up to 42 Mbit/s on 3G. Most packages auto-renew. As they can't be canceled easily, better add extra packs for more data:
- 59 THB: 500 MB for 7 days, *900*8923#
- 79 THB: 1 GB for 7 days, *900*8924#
- 99 THB: 1 GB for 15 days, *990*8925#
- 150 THB: 1 GB for 30 days, *990*8903#
- 199 THB, 5 GB for 30 days with auto-renewal, *990*8813#
- 299 THB: 10 GB for 30 days with auto-renewal, *990*8814#
4G/LTE packages Edit
Most of their SIM cards are now 4G/LTE enabled and are sold for THB 0-49 with very little credit. Speed is up to 100 Mbps on 4G/LTE. Default rate outside package is 1.50 THB per MB. These 4G/LTE packages can be booked on all 4G SIM cards. For all prices add 7% taxes:
|9 THB||200 MB||1 day||default rate @
1.50 THB / MB
|15 THB||400 MB||*900*1923#|
|39 THB||1.5 GB||*900*1924#|
|59 THB||800 MB||7 days||*900*1925#|
|99 THB||2 GB||*900*1926#|
|199 THB||1.5 GB||30 days||@128 kbps||*900*8816#|
|299 THB||2.5 GB||*900*8817#|
|399 THB||4 GB||*900*8818#|
|699 THB||8 GB||@384 kbps||*900*8819#|
|799 THB||12 GB||*900*8820#|
Daily and weekly plans are once off and can be booked new anytime. All monthly plans auto-renew after 30 days. For more data on monthly plans, add one of these add-ons:
- 179 THB: 1 GB, 30 days, *900*8936#
- 279 THB: 2 GB, 30 days, *900*8937#
- 379 THB: 3 GB, 30 days. *900*8938#
Tourist SIM Edit
TrueMove H sells special SIM cards for tourists too. The SIM card is called Tourist Inter SIM. In 2016 True's 4G/LTE has been opened for the tourist SIM. They come in two different starter packs:
- Starter Pack: 49 THB, 90 MB data, 20 THB call credit, all valid for 30 days
- Value Pack: 299 THB, 1.5 GB high speed data, throttled to 128 kbps, unlimited WiFi, 100 THB call credit, all valid for 7 days.
To activate, type *123# <call>. After the included bundle has expired or used up, you can add these top-up bundles:
|100 THB||1 GB||n./a.||3 days||*900*8984#|
|150 THB||1.5 GB||7 days||*900*8985#|
|300 THB||2.5 GB||unltd.||10 days||*900*8986#|
|450 THB||4 GB||15 days||*900*8988#|
|750 THB||9 GB||30 days||*900*8989#|
|850 THB||12 GB||30 days||*900*8992#|
Default data outside packs or for overuse is 1 THB per MB. These bundles above are officially advertised to be used on the tourist SIM. Unofficially, the regular 3G and 4G packs mentioned above proved to be addible too. So you might give them a try.
WiFi packages Edit
True has like dtac and AIS many WiFi hotspots throughout the country. They have the biggest WIFI network with more than 100,000 hotspots: Hotspot Locator. When not included in your plan, they offer these packages for a max. speed of 200 Mbps (add 7% taxes):
- for 1 day: 39 THB, activation: *900*82#
- for 1 week: 59 THB, activation: *900*84#
- for 1 month: 100 THB, activation: *900*83#
To acquire your WiFi password dial *871*4# for free. The weekly and monthly packages auto-renew. More info about their WiFi.
Asia roaming options Edit
For roaming in other Asian countries, True has introduced new roaming packages with unlimited data on 3G networks:
- for Singapore (on Starhub): 1 day, THB 99, *115*801#; 3 days, THB 295, *115*802#; 5 days, THB 490, *115*803 or 7 days, THB 680, *115*804#
- for 18 other Asian countries: 1 day, THB 333, *115*401#; 3 days, THB 950, *115*402#; 5 days, THB 1550, *115*403 or 7 days, THB 2150, *115*404#
- IDD prefixes: 006 for quality or 00600 for budget (on the tourist SIM starting from 1 THB per min to major countries)
- APN: internet - username and password: true
- Website partly in English: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/?ln=en
- To change SMS Notifications to English: Press *700 <call>, then 1 (For English), 5 (Change Language), 2 (SMS), 2 (English), 1 (Confirm)
- or press 9304 <call>, then follow voice prompts to switch language between Thai and English.
- check your remaining balance by 9302 <call> (voice response) or *123# <call> (SMS response).
My (by CAT) Edit
My is a MVNO operated by CAT Telecom Public Company Ltd., the state-owned company that runs Thailand’s international telecommunications infrastructure, including its international gateways, satellite, and submarine cable network connections.
It's the 4th largest mobile network operator in Thailand and owns spectrum on the 850 Mhz frequency, rent it out to True Move. In return it can use 20% of the bandwidth for their own My by CAT operation and other MVNOs (see below). The towers and network are operated by True Move for their own 3G 850 Mhz. In autumn of 2016 they started national roaming with True for 4G/LTE. To all prices below add 7% taxes.
Frequencies and Coverage Edit
My has only 3G/HSPA+ on 850 Mhz (= band 5) without fall-back to 2G. As My uses the same 850 MHz network as True Move, their 3G coverage is the same. By the end of 2014 it had a coverage of approximately 97% of population and consisted of around 14,000 BTS. But as there are way less users on CAT's 20% share as they have roughly a market share including MVNOs of 1-2% so far.
Starting in October 2016 they opened 4G/LTE access by national roaming on the 4G/LTE 1800 MHz and 2100 MHz network of True Move.
My by CAT shops and CAT service centers are now showing up in some shopping malls (locator in Thai-English). As a promotion called MY Welcome 1 GB are given out per month for 12 months, if you top-up for 100 THB.
Top-up vouchers can be found at various locations like CAT stores, AJ Sabaidee top-up kiosks, U Top-up at Big C and postal offices, Tesco Lotus and 7-Eleven (only for THB 100 and 300). To top-up by code type *901*<voucher code>#. To check balance type *902#.
Data feature packages Edit
Different base plans are offered for 3G and 4G/LTE roaming are offered. For data you can change to MY Net plan by *905*03# for free. It has the lowest default rate of 0.50 THB per MB. Check your base plan by *905*00#.
These monthly plans on 3G and 4G/LTE roaming on True are offered:
- 1 GB: THB 199 - activation: *906*100#
- 2 GB: THB 299 - activation: *906*101#
- 4 GB: THB 399 - activation: *906*102#
- 6 GB: THB 499 - activation: *906*103#
- 10 GB: THB 699 - activation: *906*104#
- 14 GB: THB 899 - activation: *906*105#
- 20 GB: THB 1099 - activation: *906*106#
Al packages are for 31 days, overuse is throttled to 384 kbps on the smaller and 512 kbps on the larger packs.
These plans with 3G data on CAT's own network are offered:
- for one day (= 24 hours): 1 GB: THB 29 - activation: *906*61#; 2 GB: THB 39 - activation: *906*87#; 3 GB: THB 49 - activation: *906*92#
- for three days: 1 GB: THB 49 - activation: *906*62#, 2 GB: THB: 69 - activation: *906*88#, 3 GB: THB 79, activation: *906*93#
- for one week (= 7 days): 1 GB: THB 69 - activation: *906*63#, 2 GB: THB: 109 - activation: *906*89#, 3 GB: THB 119, activation: *906*94#
- for 15 days: 1 GB: THB 109 - activation: *906*64#, 2 GB: THB: 179 - activation: *906*90#, 3 GB: THB 189, activation: *906*95#
- for one month (= 31 days): 1 GB: THB 150 - activation: *906*65#, 2 GB: THB 250 - activation: *906*91#, 3 GB: THB 350, activation: 906*96#
To all packages add 7% taxes. All bundles auto-renew. To stop text code with 960 instead of 906. Overuse will be charged at the default rate.
Furthermore, My offers "unlimited" rates for a low price. But all their "unlimited" rates are really unlimited in volume, but capped from the start to a low speed of 384 or 512 Mbps (see offers of Pinguin SIM below).
More Information Edit
- IDD prefix for cheap foreign calls: 009 starting at THB 1.50 to some European, Asian countries and the US (list)
- APN: internet
- Website partly in English: http://www.mybycat.com/en/
Penguin SIM (on CAT) Edit
In 2016 some new MVNOs started mainly on the CAT network. The most visible so far is Penguin SIM by White Space. It's aimed at the Thai youth, but accessible to everyone and heavily marketed at street vendors and other places. It has certain pros and cons, you should be aware of. It's on the 3G-only CAT network (see above). While it has a good coverage identical to True's 3G footprint, it doesn't offer a 2G fallback or 4G/LTE and you need to have a device capable of 850 MHz in 3G.
Penguin SIM has very low prices, but most of their rates are severely throttled. That means that they can be good for messaging like LINE (preferred messenger in Thailand), but inconvenient for browsing websites. All of their publications are in Thai only. To all the given prices below add 7% taxes.
All their SIM cards are sold for THB 49 with THB 15 credit valid for 15 days only at street vendors and major kiosks chains. They are also offered at airports etc. On the street you will be told that you don't need registration. As it's required by law, you'll risk disconnection, but you might be fine for a short time. In a kiosk chain store let them register it for you.
Top-ups are available at the usual stores like FamilyMart and 7-Eleven. Check balance by *502#, check your number by *504#.
SIM plans Edit
They offer different plans that can't be changed. As it's only written in Thai on the package, it might be hard to find out as they differ:
- วัยเก๋า (old veteran): SIM is sold at 7-Eleven and Jaymart. Data is THB 0.25 per MB up to a max. of THB 300 per month. Speed is throttled to 384 kbps and when you are using more than 3.5 GB/month to 128 kbps.
- วัยโจ๋ (teenager): SIM is sold at Jaymart. Data is THB 0.50 per MB and throttled to 1 Mbps. You can add one of these three monthly data packages, overuse is again throttled to 384 kbps for the rest of the month:
- THB 199: 1.2 GB, activation: *555*51#
- THB 299: 2.3 GB, activation: *555*52#
- THB 399: 3.5 GB, activation: *555*53#
- ซิมเพนกวิน (penguin SIM): SIM is sold at FamilyMart. Data is THB 0.25 with a daily max. of THB 20. Speed is throttled to 512 kbps from the start.
More infomation Edit
- IDD prefix for cheap foreign calls: 009 starting at THB 1.50 to some European, Asian countries and the US
- APN: internet
- Website in Thai only: http://www.penguinsim.com/
Open by i-mobile (on CAT) Edit
I-mobile by the Samart Group is another MVNO on the CAT network. In contrary to Penguin SIM speed is not throttled and to My CAT there is no 4G/LTE. Again, you'll need to have a 3G device capable of 850 MHz as there is no fallback to 2G or 4G/LTE. But 3G is in full speed up to 42 Mbps. For more details about the network, check My CAT section above.
The same company has a second license and brand also called "i-mobile3x" (see here). Don't mix it up, as this is a totally different product on the not so good TOT network instead.
You can find an Open by i-mobile starter pack in some phone stores and electronic malls like in Pantip Plaza in Bangkok. Registration may be an issue, as small street vendors can't handle foreign passports. The SIM is sold for only THB 29 with THB 15 credit valid for 30 days.
Top-ups can be made in all 7-Eleven stores or Tesco Lotus markets. To top-up enter *900*<voucher code>#. To check balance, type *153#.
Data feature packages Edit
Default rate is THB 0.25 per MB. You can add these packages with voice calls to all Thai networks and data at full 3G speed up to 42 Mbps:
|THB 29||150 MB||15 mins||1 day||*222*2*1#|
|THB 49||250 MB||25 mins||3 days||*222*2*3#|
|THB 79||350 MB||35 mins||5 days||*222*2*5#|
|THB 99||500 MB||50 mins||7 days||*222*2*7#|
|THB 179||1 GB||100 mins||15 days||*222*2*15#|
|THB 259||1.5 GB||150 mins||30 days||*222*2*30#|
To all prices add 7% taxes.
More information Edit
- IDD prefix for cheap foreign calls: 009 starting at THB 1.50 to some European, Asian countries and the US (list)
- APN: internet
- Website in Thai only: http://www.simopen.com/
Tune Talk (on True) Edit
Tune Talk was one of the first MVNOs in the country. They are affiliated to AirAsia airline, started in 2013 and target visitors. They have moved recently to the network of True Move in 3G and 4G/LTE.
The Thailand Tourist SIM is available for THB 299 exclusively on Thai AirAsia flights. It might not be available on other flights by AirAsia.
You will need to register your SIM after arrival in DMK airport at True Move shop (1st floor, terminal 1 and 2) or any True store in the country to be activated.
Data packages Edit
The starter has "unlimited" 3G/4G data with a FUP of 1.5 GB then throttled to 128 kbps for a week and 100 THB of balance preloaded.
Default rate for data is 1.5 THB per MB and you can top-up this SIM like any True Move SIM (see packages above) with value, packages and WiFi.
More information Edit
- True's budget IDD prefix 00600 works on this SIM for cheap internatl. calls
- APN: internet
- don't mix it up with the same product released in Malaysia
- Website in English: http://th.tunetalk.com/