Sweden has 4 physical network operators with some MVNOs or subsidiaries:
- Telia <Halebop>
- Tele2 <Comviq>
- Telenor (formerly Vodafone Sweden) <Lycamobile, Vectone mobile, Vimla>
- 3 (Tre) <Hallon>
However, all the 4 physical networks share 2G, 3G or 4G with at least one other network:
- Telia runs their own 2G and 4G LTE networks, their 3G 2100 MHz network is shared with Tele2. They are building their own 3G network on the 900 MHz band.
- Tele2 doesn't have any of their own networks, 2G and 4G are completely shared with Telenor while 3G is shared with Telia.
- Telenor's 2G and 4G are shared with Tele2, 3G is shared with 3 outside the cities: Stockholm, Göteborg, Malmö, Lund and Karlskrona where they have their own.
- 3 is the only Swedish network without 2G. They currently have 2 3G networks, one on 2100 MHz band, shared with Telenor (except the cities named above), and one on the 900 MHz band that they don't share. They also have their own 4G network.
Another provider sold under the brand of Net1 run by Access Industries offers mobile broadband based on LTE on 450 MHz with a pretty large footprint all over the country. But it's limited to contract subscribers and not offered for prepaid. So it's not mentioned any further.
Telia is market leader with the best coverage in 2G and 3G followed by Tele2 and Telenor. 2G is on 900 and 1800 MHz like everywhere in Europe, 3G is on 900 and 2100 MHz. Tre does not have a 2G network.
Tele2 and Telenor is building up their 2G and 4G coverage to match Telias 2G coverage which is around 90% nationwide coverage. In southern Sweden and by main roads and cities all operators have coverage, however if you are going to spend a lot of time in northern Sweden or in the nature, Telia is the best choice.
All major 4 Swedish operators now support 4G/LTE. Tele2 and Telenor have a joint LTE network called Net4Mobility claiming 99.5% coverage. LTE is on all carriers on 2600 MHz in the cities. Net4Mobility and Tre give more speed in cities than Telia. 800 (Telia, Tre), 900 (Net4Mobility) and 1800 MHz (Telia, Net4Mobility, Tre) frequencies are used additionally. LTE is available on prepaid on all 4 networks, but not yet through all MVNOs.
Buy the SIM cards in shops, as online you'll need a Swedish personal number called Personnummer. No further registration necessary. Prepaid is called "Kontant" in Sweden.
Topping-up credit is fairly easy as long as you are in the country, as you can buy top-up cards at many locations for cash. But it becomes a problem when you are outside of the country trying to maintain a SIM card or use it on roaming because only Swedish-issued credit cards with a personnummer are accepted.
All cards issued in other countries are blocked. You will see a error message "Denied by Defender" when paying. It's not card currency what matters, but the country where the credit/debit card was issued. This applies to all Swedish providers as well as the topup site Goyada.se . Vectone mobile doesn't allow online top-ups and Lycamobile accepts foreign cards too, but gives a rather short validity of 90 days. While Telia cards can be reloaded via Ihavelanded, it has proven to be almost impossible to reload any other card from abroad. Some users succeeded by changing their IP address to Sweden while topping up (through an VPN), other users were able to reload using a Revolut MasterCard from the UK. Be prepared to be unable to keep your SIM card alive from abroad.
Telia, owned by the Swedish Telia Company is market leader in Sweden with the best coverage nationwide in 2G, 3G and 4G (on 800, 1800 and 2600 MHz): Telia 2G 3G 4G coverage map. 4G/LTE is available for all prepaid products with up to 20 Mbps speed.
If you are going to northern Sweden and intend to stay out of cities, then Telia/Halebop will probably be the only network that has coverage. While Telias 2G GSM network has good coverage, their 3G and 4G/LTE networks don't have as good coverage as Net4Mobility or Tre. This means that speeds will be lower.
The online agency ihavelanded.com will ship Telia SIMs worldwide for a flat 3 EUR. They are also one of the few ways to top-up Telia SIM cards with a foreign credit card, as Telia normally only accepts Swedish payment systems. In the country buy reload vouchers that are found in many places. Their prepaid starter pack called "Telia Refill Startpaket" is sold for free online and in Telia stores (locator) and for 100 SEK in many convenience stores like Pressbyrån store locator. All three sizes are available. You are expected to top-up at least 50 SEK or a bundle right from the start. Enter *120# to check your balance.
Data feature packages Edit
Their data-only packages are called "Ladda Surf" and available in these volumes:
- for 1 month (31 days):
- 500 MB: 49 SEK
- 2 GB: 149 SEK
- for 6 months (183 days):
- 6 GB: 299 SEK
- 12 GB: 399 SEK
Alternatively, they sell combo packages called "Ladda Fastpris" with domestic voice, SMS and data all valid for one month:
- 500 MB, unlimited domestic SMS, 100 mins domestic calls: 99 SEK
- 1 GB, unlimited domestic SMS, 100 mins domestic calls: 149 SEK
- 2 GB, unlimited donestic SMS and calls: 199 SEK
- 5 GB, unlimited domestic SMS and calls: 249 SEK
Max. speed is 100 Mbps in 3G and 4G. Default rate outside packages is a daily charge of 10 SEK per MB with a max. of 19 SEK per day, then reduced in speed.
For EU roaming, they sell a data package of 1 GB for 7 days at 199 SEK.
- APN: online.telia.se
- Tethering allowed
- Website in English: http://www.telia.se/privat/telefoni/prepaid?intcmp_kontantkort_engelska
Halebop (by Telia)EditHalebop is a subsidiary of Telia using their good network. 4G/LTE is available up to 100 Mbps for prepaid, where covered by Telia (see above).
You can buy the Halebop Kontantkort for free and top-up at Telia stores (see Telia), The Phone House, Elgiganten, Media Markt, 7-Eleven, Coop, Pressbyrån and other places for free. All three SIM sizes are offered. All their prepaid cards have monthly plans for a base fare.
They have a big variety of monthly prepaid price plans:
- Halebop Vänner and Hallå (max. 1 Mbps):
- 100 SEK: 9 SEK per MB up to max. of 15 SEK/day for data
- 200 SEK: 1 GB
- 300 SEK: 2 GB
- Halebop Rubbet (max. 100 Mbps):
- 99 SEK: 1 GB
- 169 SEK: 2 GB
- 269 SEK: 6 GB
- 369 SEK: 12 GB
All these packages include some domestic texts. Overuse: 9 SEK/MB to a max. of 19 SEK/day. Speed is on 4G up to 100 Mbit/s too. For the daily rate, a FUP of 500 MB per month applies, when exceeded, the speed is limited to 120 kbit/s until the end of the month. Unused data volume will be rolled over to the next month, if you stay on your plan.
For more data, you can add Extra Surf bundles valid for 6 months:
- 500 MB: 29 SEK
- 1 GB: 59 SEK
- 4 GB: 159 SEK
- 12 GB: 299 SEK
- Tethering is allowed
- APN: halebop.telia.se
- Website in Swedish: https://shop.halebop.se/kontantkort
Comviq (by Tele2)EditComviq is a subsidiary of Tele2 in Sweden. So it uses the Tele2 and Telenor network on 2G, the Tele2 and Telia networks on 3G and Net4mobility (= Tele2 and Telenor) on 4G, all available for prepaid with speeds up to 80 Mbps.
Tele2 doesn't sell own prepaid SIMs anymore, they are geared to contract customers and channel all prepaid products through their Comviq brand. They have a >99% coverage on 2G, 3G and 4G/LTE: Comviq Coverage Map or Tele2s Coverage Maps
You can get their prepaid SIM called Conviq Kontantkort from a Comviq reseller, as they don't have any stores themselves. Any Pressbyrån, 7-Eleven or other convenience stores and some ICA, COOP or many other food chains too for 45 SEK.
SIM cards are normally free of charge if bought online and together with a plan or a package. But for that you have to have a Swedish personal number and a Swedish postal address. No need to register your SIM card though. SIM cards in all three current sizes are available.
For recharges have in mind, that it has proven almost impossible to top-up from abroad (see Basics chapter). In Sweden you can always buy cash cards instead.
The following plans are offered for prepaid. All of the below is valid for 30 days, except 45 SEK (week) that is only valid for 7 days. After that period the plan changes to standard, that includes no data and is pretty expensive.
- Fastpris: domestic calls, domestic SMS and MMS are free of charge:
- 145 SEK: 1 GB
- 195 SEK: 3 GB
- 245 SEK: 7 GB
- 45 SEK (per week): 400 MB
- Fastpris mini: 95 SEK; 1 GB, 200 min free calls to Swedish numbers, then 0.45 SEK/min, free domestic SMS and MMS.
- Amigos: cheap international calls and texts, default data rate at 0.35 SEK/MB. May be combined with Fastpris, Fastpris mini or Surf by recharging Amigos on the same SIM that you have other plan  Beware that after you do this your other plan will not renew automatically anymore.
- 50 SEK: 500 MB
- 100 SEK: 1 GB
- 200 SEK: 2 GB
- Surf: no calls or SMS/MMS possible, only data
- 50 SEK: 1 GB
- 100 SEK: 3 GB
- 200 SEK: 10 GB
EU roaming option Edit
You can add these EU roaming data or combo packages with heavily reduced rates valid all over the EU, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland for 7 days each:
- 200 MB: 45 SEK by texting "200EU" to 232
- 1 GB: 145 SEK by texting "EU1" to 232
- 200 MB, 200 call minutes, and 200 SMS/MMS: 95 SEK by texting "EUP" cto 232
- There are users who had the experience that Comviq shuts off before the advertised amount of data is consumed (see comments line).
- APN: data.comviq.se /or/ 4g.tele2.se
- Tethering: no limitations
- Website in Swedish: https://webbutik.comviq.se/kontantkort.html
TelenorEditTelenor has a good 2G and 3G network and 4G/LTE up to 150 Mbps is available on Net4Moblity for prepaid too (see Basics for networks).
The starter packs for Telenor Kontant are available in two different plans at their stores (locator)and lot of outlets for 99 SEK start-up price. Both plans can't be switched. Their starter pack is also available online for free with 200 MB on top, but again you need a Swedish Personnumber for purchase. Without one, better buy it in shops.
Default and overuse data rate is SEK 19 per 100 MB on both plans. Here are the two product lines:
- Rörlig: data is at SEK 19 per 100 MB. Top-ups are available for 50, 100 and 300 SEK valis for 1 year. The 300 SEK top-up gives 400 SEK credit. You can add these data packages for 31 days:
- 1 GB: 49 SEK
- 3 GB: 129 SEK
- 10 GB: 199 SEK
- Fastpris: For data, you need to add one of these bundles valid for 31 days:
- 100 MB: 99 SEK
- 500 MB: 149 SEK
- 2 GB: 199 SEK
- 6 GB: 249 SEK
- 12 GB: 399 SEK
- 2 GB per month for 6 months: 699 SEK
- for more data you can buy Extra Mobilsurf data add-ons for 31 days mentioned at Rörlig above.
EU roaming packages Edit
Like Comviq, Telenor offers heavily reduced roaming packages for the EU/EEA countries:
- EU Daypass: 100 MB for 24 hours: SEK 29, activation: text DAGSPASS to 222
- EU Weekpass: 1 GB for 7 days: SEK 149, activation: text: SURF1 to 222
- Tethering: no restrictions
- SIM sizes: all three current sizes available.
- APN: services.telenor.se /or/ internet.telenor.se
- Their Mobilt Bredband Kontant data-only prepaid card has been discontinued
3 (Tre)Edit3 ("Tre") in Sweden has good speeds in 3G (on 900 and 2100 MHz) and 4G/LTE on (800 and 2600 MHz, partly as TD-LTE on band 38) up to 64 Mbps for prepaid: Tre 3G and 4G coverage. Have in mind that Tre doesn't operate a 2G network and has no 2G roaming. You'll need to have a 3G or 4G device for using Tre network.
When you visit Denmark too, it's a good choice as data roaming on the Danish 3 network is given out at domestic Swedish rates, but roaming to all other countries is blocked.
Data-only SIM: 3Kontant BredbandEdit
3Kontant Bredband is the name of their data-only SIM card. The starter pack is available online too, but for ordering you need a Swedish personal number and a Swedish postal address. For tourists it's easiert to go to one of their stores they call 3Butiken Shop List (fill in name of the place).
All three current SIM sizes are available. They have 3 different starter packs on offer:
- SIM only: for free (online) and up to 99 SEK including 500 MB valid for 7 days (@ 3Butiken)
- SIM and 4G modem: 199 SEK including 5 GB valid for 7 days and Huawei E3372 4G USB modem (online or @ 3Butiken)
- SIM and Mobile WiFi: 249 SEK including 5 GB valid for 7 days and Huawei E5330 3G mobile wifi (online or @ 3Butiken)
Top-ups can can be made through:
- coupons in a Pressbyrån, supermarket or similar venue selling coupons, scratch lottery cards and so on. Be aware that some shops only sell top-ups for regular phone bundles instead of Bredband mentioned above. These have minutes and SMS but with much less data. Somehow 3Butiken doesn't sell these coupons. Call costumer service with +46 77 173 5300, option "9" for English speaking real-life person to top-up if you are not fluent in Swedish (online or computer voice are the other options).
- online by credit card (when run out of data you can get 20 mins of free internet to do this (max. 3 times). They accept international Visa and MasterCard.
- using their mobile app called Mitt3: you need to login but you can do that with any mobile number independent on operator and then top-up your 3Kontant SIM-card
10 SMS messages are always included in the top-ups. No calls are possible on the 3Kontant Bredband. It offers free roaming in the 3 network of Denmark. You need to have data roaming activated for this to work as it's another network in Denmark. Coverage is excellent in most parts of Sweden, except for northern regions, where mostly cities and main roads are covered.
Data feature packsEdit
The following data packs only for Bredband plans are available on 3G and 4G/LTE:
|29 SEK||1 GB||1 day|
|99 SEK||5 GB||7 days|
|199 SEK||5 GB||30 days|
|299 SEK||30 GB||30 days|
|499 SEK||60 GB||30 days|
|799 SEK||200 GB||30 days|
|399 SEK||10 GB||90 days, available only via tre.se|
|599 SEK||40 GB||90 days, available only via tre.se|
Voice and data SIM cardsEdit
They offer many more Kontantkorts (prepaid SIM cards) for call, text and data with included minutes, SMS and data. They are called 3Kontant with the price plans of "3Fastpris", "3Vänner", "3Prat" or "3Global".
Best price for data included with voice is their prepaid 3Fastpris plan. It includes all calls and SMS in Sweden for 30 days and:
- for a top-up of 199 SEK: 500 MB data
- for a top-up of 299 SEK: 4 GB data
- for a top-up of 399 SEK: 12 GB data
- for a top-up of599 SEK: 50 GB data
Data allowances is a bonus. So you can use all your credit for airtime.Their 3Vänner, 3Prat and 3Global plans have other bonuses instead of data like discounted internatl. calls on Global. For a 200 or 300 SEK top-up, you'll receive 2 GB data on those plans. Data roaming in Denmark is at domestic rates.
More info Edit
- APN: net.tre.se
- Tethering: No restrictions
- Website in Swedish: http://www.tre.se
LycamobileEditThe British Lycamobile Group has a MVNO in Sweden too. It operates on the Telenor network in 2G and 3G. Effective November 2016 4G/LTE has been opened without surcharges.
Their SIM card can be purchased for free in their outlets. There you are expected to make top-ups right away. Vouchers of 50, 100 and 200 SEK are available there too. Lycamobile is the only provider that allows foreign credit cards for top-ups. But bear in mind that credit validity is limited to 90 days only.
Remaining credit check: *102# and data balance check: *137#.
Data feature packsEdit
Default data rate is 0.99 SEK per MB. The following monthly data bundles on up to 4G/LTE are offered:
|75 MB||5 SEK||9050|
|500 MB||29 SEK||9150|
|1 GB||39 SEK||9500|
|2 GB||69 SEK||9000|
|3 GB||89 SEK||91000|
|4 GB||99 SEK||94000|
|12 GB||200 SEK||91200|
For activation, text code to 3535. All packages auto-renew after one month. To stop, type *190#.
For more data you can Surf bolt-ons:
- 500 MB: 29 SEK, activation: *139*601#
- 1 GB: 39 SEK, activation: *139*602#
- 3 GB: 89 SEK, activation: *139*603#
These add-ons are vaild for the rest period of the base package.
- APN: data.lycamobile.se
- Username: lmse
- Password: plus
- Lycamobile does not allow tethering and actively blocks it
- Lycamobile offers cheap roaming packages for certain countries only. More details see Euro5.
- Website in English: http://www.lycamobile.se/en/
Vectone Mobile Edit
Vectone is another UK-based provider using Telia's good 2G and 3G and now newly on 4G/LTE too (see Telia above).
Their pay-as-you-go SIM card is mailed within Sweden to a postal address without giving them a Swedish personal number. Through their refer a friend scheme you can send it to Austria, UK, Netherlands, Portugal or all other Scandinavian countries too. In Sweden it's offline available at Pressbyrån shops and ATG betting agencies. Top-up vouchers are sold in the shops listed here. Their SIM card is free without any credit. So you need to top it up right away. Online top-up works with internatl. credit cards too for 100 or 200 SEK.
Their SIM card gives discounted international calls to some countries, reduced roaming rates in Poland and some promotional benefits. Data rates are similar to Lycamobile, but in 4G/LTE too. As a promotion (until 31/OCT/16) they give "unlimited" free data (FUP: 30 GB) for 7 days when you top-up 50 SEK, for 14 days / 100 SEK and 30 days 200 SEK.
You first may have to enable data online, by calling customer service on 220 or by texting "Internet" to 3310. They text you back and you need to enter PIN 1234. Follow the on-screen instructions and if your phone asks you to save the new setting, select YES or OK. iOS and Android users may have to set the APN manually (see below).
Data feature packs Edit
Default data is 0.99 SEK per MB. They have "Pocket Saver Packs" with domestic text and voice, discounted IDD rates and 4G/LTE data as well as data-only packages all valid for 30 days from activation:
|Price||Data||internatl. Voice||dom. SMS||Activation|
|49 SEK||1 GB||250 mins||250 SMS||*4024#|
|99 SEK||3 GB||500 mins||1000 SMS||*4015#|
|149 SEK||4 GB||1000 mins||1000 SMS||*4078#|
|199 SEK||5 GB||1500 mins||1000 SMS||*4022#|
|5 SEK||100 MB||*4010#|
|29 SEK||600 MB||*4011#|
|39 SEK||1 GB||*4012#|
|69 SEK||2 GB||*4013#|
|89 SEK||3 GB||*4014#|
|99 SEK||5 GB||*4071#|
|199 SEK||15 GB||*4023#|
Packages will be auto-renewed once the validity expires. If you exceed the limit, you’ll pay their standard prepaid rates. To stop the auto-renewal dial *4002#, to check balance: *4001#. International calls are included to about 50 countries.
More info Edit
- One user reported severely throttled speeds on Vectone Mobile.
- APN: webuk.mundio.com (may need to be set manually)
- Tethering is prohibited
- Website in English: http://www.vectonemobile.se/en/
Hallon, Wifog Edit
Hallon and Wifog can't be listed anymore. The reasons for this are:
- they are online-only operators without any physical shops to buy the SIM card
- online order is only possible when you give a Swedish ID number (Personnummer)
- that's why these products are hardly accessible to foreigners
To list Hallon (or Wifog) would be against the rules of this WIKI and is not suitable for visitors because of the given reasons. However, some tourists were able to buy their SIMs resold informally in some small mobile phone stores. But they won't be rechargeable without the help of a Swedish friend.