The Cook Islands are a small island nation in the South Pacific with political links to New Zealand. Its 15 islands are scattered over a vast area and the largest island is called Rarotonga.
They have only one mobile provider:
- BlueSky Cook Islands
2G/GSM is on 900 MHz on all inhabited islands, 3G/UMTS on 900 MHz and 4G/LTE on bands 3 and 28 started only recently on Rarotonga and Aitukaki islands only. On all other islands, data is only up to EDGE speed.
A submarine cable linking the Cook Islands to New Zealand and Hawaii is currently under construction and scheduled to be finished in 2018.
BlueSky Cook Islands Edit
BlueSky by Telecom Cook Islands remains the only provider on the islands. They started with mobile services back in 2003, but their new brand BlueSky was launched in 2015. Typical speed on Rarotonga is 30 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up. Ping is 200-250 ms to USA. Backhaul is through O3b.
You can buy their prepaid SIM card in many locations, no registration needed. Visitors can buy a SIM right in the arrival area of RAR airport after customs, go to the right after clearing customs. They open with every arriving flight and close as soon as visitors are gone. There is no longer a shop in baggage claim area. It's sold for NZD 25 including NZD 20 credit. There's also a Bluesky shop in Avarua in Avarua shopping center near CITC and Cook's corner open 8:00-16:00 Mon-Fri and 8:30-13:00 on Saturday.
- Top-ups in form of e-charges are sold from NZD 1 at their outlets (list).
- You can also topup online on their website using PayPal. Simple registration with name and email is required. Name doesn't need to be real but email is verified. This link is available in MyBluesky app but it will just redirect you to the link.
- You can transfer balance from one phone to another by dialing *888# and choosing "Credit transfer". Alternatively you can do it from MyBluesky app.
SIM card and top-up credit is valid for 6 months past any recharge. Check credit by calling *888# and choosing "View balance".
Data feature packages Edit
Data default rate is NZD 0.20 per MB. You can add these Value Data Packs:
|24HR$3||NZD 3||100 MB||24 hours|
|3DAY$5||NZD 5||200 MB||3 days|
|7DAY$10||NZD 10||450 MB||7 days|
|10DAY$30||NZD 30||1.5 GB||10 days|
|14DAY$50||NZD 50||6 GB||14 days|
The NZD 50 package has been recently upgraded to 6 GB as of March 2017. It's unknown whether it's a permanent change or temporary promotion. Menu still says 3000 MB but confirmation SMS says 6000 MB. To buy data packs, dial *888#, choose "Buy bundles" and follow menu options to buy bundles. To check data balance, dial *888# and choose "View balance". You can't buy a new package before old one is expired or used up. Alternatively both operators are available from the app. Make sure to disable mobile data and 4G before inserting SIM card to avoid being charged at default rate. You need to disable 4G as well as otherwise it won't be able to make USSD requests.
Tourist SIM Edit
In 2017 they introduced a SIM card aimed at tourists called Visitor SIM. This SIM card is for 30 days only and can't be extended in time. It's sold at NZD 49 and comes with 3 GB data, 300 SMS anywhere in the world and 30 internatl. minutes voice to "almost anywhere" in the world.
Users are not able to purchase any data bundles or prepaid promotion packages for this SIM. Once the package is used, users can then, purchase more credit and will be charged standard rates of NZD 0.20 per MB.
WiFi Hotspots: Bluezone Edit
BlueSky operates around 80 public WiFi hotspots mostly in hotels and restaurants on Rarotonga and Aitutaki that are called Bluezone (list of locations).
To connect select WiFi, launch your internet browser and it should automatically go to the Wifi login page. If it doesn’t just type in http://wifi.bluesky.co.ck to access the login page. For a Prepaid WiFi voucher just enter the username and password and follow the on-screen instructions. Don't forget to logoff after your session.
You can pay by following options:
- Buy a voucher from Bluesky shop or one of many resellers.
- From a prepaid SIM you can dial *888# and choose "Buy Bluezone WiFi" to buy access with your prepaid balance. You can do the same from MyBluesky app. You'll get the code by SMS.
- They have an option to pay with credit cards but their network doesn't allow access to 3D-secure or Verified by Visa websites without paying. Additionally you need to override certificate hostname mismatch warning. direct link to payment that you can follow on another device but would still encounter certificate problem. So this option is of limited use and not recommended.
Following passes are available:
- NZD 5: 200 MB for 3 days
- NZD 10: 500 MB for 7 days
- NZD 25: 1.5 GB for 14 days
- NZD 50: 3 GB for 30 days
To check WiFi data consumption, open this page.